Monday, February 20, 2006

Second Sock Syndrome Sucks

Like the alliteration?
I was going so well, and then I bound off horribly, and lost all of my momentum. Here's the second 400, and I really don't want to do it. With motivation and support, however, I will succeed and prevail and all that crap.
I had lost the other ball of yarn for a while, but I just found it and it is ready to go. Tomorrow, perhaps.

Oh, here's a random pattern for a beginner scarf I designed/made a long time ago. It's really simple, and the ribbing makes it look sort of like stockinette on the RS, but it doesn't curl.
26 stitches on straight needles, pick the yarn and the needles that you feel best show off the cables. (Oh yes, there will be cables.)
CO 26 sts
K 1 row (RS)
K 1 row (WS)
*RS: K3, P2, K2, P1, K1, P1, 6 stitch braid cable (*), P1, K1, P1, K2, P2, K3
WS: P3, K2, P2, K1, P1, K1, P6, K1, P1, K1, P2, K2, P3*
Repeat these two rows until the scarf measures as long as you want it to be, end on a RS, K1 row (on ws), K1 row (on rs), bind off all 26 sts.

Of course, you could leave off the garter stitch, and just CO, go in the pattern, BO. Whatever you want, really. And you could replace the middle 6-stitch braid-cable with something else.
(c) 2006 Ayse

6-stitch Braid Cable (definitely not of my own creation, though I'm not sure where I first learnt it. I think my friend explained it to me verbally when we were 12):
Row 1 (RS): put the first 2 sts onto a cable needle, hold the cable needle to the back of your work, k the next 2 sts (they will have been the middle 2 sts), k the 2 sts off the cable needle, and k the last 2 sts. (the first four sts will look as if you did a 4 st twisty cable, while the last 2 will stay in their spot.)
Row 2 (WS): P all 6 sts
Row 3 (RS): K first 2 sts, put next 2 sts onto a cable needle, hold cable needle to front of work, k next 2 sts off regular needle, k 2 sts off cable needle.
Row 4 (WS): P all 6 sts
Repeat Rows 1-4, ending wherever you want.

No comments: