Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Definite Progress

I've turned the heel and I'm on the instep. Woo. This is on the first sock, obviously. I'm not that good. :P Anyway, it's going well. I'm pretty on schedule; I figure 8 days for the first sock and 8 for the second, and it's been what, 4 and a half so far? I should be done with this sock by saturday.

This feels like an 800 (meter run). You get all excited toward the end of the first lap, and then you realize that you've still got a lap to go and you shouldn't waste all your energy now. Obviously, this is more fun than an 800. It would have to be, or else all these people wouldn't be doing it, least of all me. (I get enough masochistic runningstuff from track.)

Anyway. I'm having fun knitting in school, although I only get like 6 or 10 rows done. One at a time, through the day. It's awesome, though, because I get to fill up those wasted minutes at the end and beginning of class. And I get to see progress.

It feels like a major milestone, the turning of the heel. I'm filled with all this creative energy right now: before, when I was bored or lethargic I'd just waste time thinking about knitting, but now, every spare moment can be used for the Sock project. I can channel all this energy as opposed to wanting it to go away.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to sleep a lot. But it's different, because my free time has a purpose.

No comments: