Thursday, February 23, 2006

In the Spirit of Things

The Olympic Spirit is all about going beyond. Beyond your limits, beyond nationality, beyond fear and panic and doubt.
I feel as if the Knitting Olympics honestly allow so many people to accomplish that. One person posted on the Team USA KAL Yahoo group that she had been knitting sweaters for 15 years and had never knit a sock. Now, the KO (Knitting Olympics) allowed her to go beyond that mental block (or whatever it was) and knit a pair of socks. Now she plans to knit more socks.

I think that's amazing, and I think many people are going through that same smashing of barriers now. It is bringing people together, giving us all a sense of unity, teaching us that no matter how limited we think we are, we can rise to the occasion. We are rising to the occasion.

And I'm rising to smash the panic button. I count four days left. (hush.)
However, I am knitting pretty fast, with much support and love from the people in school and at home.

I feel proud, of myself and of all the Olympic Knitters in the world. We are amazing. We continue to prove our amazingness.
It's just a happy, fuzzy feeling that has nothing to do with finding an amazing pattern or some amazing yarn. It's deeper, and, dare I say it, better.

No comments: