Sunday, January 20, 2008

Scarf Pattern

My Cabled Scarf
(action shot first, naturally)


I made this scarf in 9th grade. It was my second FO (yes, ever.) and I had lost the first one. (More about that later.)

I made it out of yarn my mother had used to make a sweater for me, but it would work in just about anything. It's a really basic pattern, pretty easy to memorize, it doesn't roll up, and it's skinny enough to wrap around a couple times without being so skinny that it doesn't keep your neck warm.

As far as I can remember this was it:

CO 26 sts, any CO you'd like. Make sure it's fairly stretchy.

RS : K3, P2, K2, P1, K1, P1, K6, P1, K1, P1, K2, P2, K3
WS: P3, K2, P2, K1, P1, K1, P6, K1, P1, K1, P2, K2, P3

The 6 knit stitches in the middle become a braid cable, so one crossing every four rows.
Pattern repeat:
1: *ribbing* k2 CL *ribbing*
2: work in pattern
3: work in pattern
4: work in pattern
5: *ribbing* CR k2 *ribbing*
6: work in pattern
7: work in pattern
8: work in pattern

Here are some handy dandy pictures:

This is the actual chart, RS and WS rows. Green implies cabling, if it's after the k2, then CL, if it's before, CR.(read it like a normal chart, right --> left and bottom --> top)


Here's a nicer version, with only the RS rows put in (to get a feel for the pattern):
(same reading)

Sorry about these charts, they're made from a java program I wrote myself and so they don't have cables and stuff added yet. Still pretty nifty, eh?

And here's a picture of the actual scarf, that's served me well for four years now:

Stitch definition is kinda iffy--this "camera" is actually the built-in camera on my laptop, so there's like no flash and no fancy angles.

No comments: